Whenever you’re using sparklers, Chinese paper sky lanterns, champagne party poppers or any other novelty pyrotechnic item or trick device, it’s important to keep safety at the top of the list. Below we’ve giving you some important safety tips that will help you enjoy your experience while staying safe.
Overall Pyrotechnic Novelty Safety Tips:
- Every item has instructions, please read the label or packaging carefully.
- Adult supervision is strongly suggested to prevent injury. Some novelty items are not recommended for children under age 8.
- Store unused pyrotechnic novelty items in a cool, dry location. They will store for several years if done properly.
- Never, ever point or throw pyrotechnics at other people.
- Do NOT carry pyrotechnics in your pockets.
- Do NOT put lit pyrotechnics in glass or plastic containers. Metal containers filled with sand placed around your venue is highly recommended.
Wedding Sparkler Safety Tips
How to Light Heart Sparklers
At the top of the sparklers where the two sides meet is a black dot. This is where to light the sparklers with either a bic candle lighter or a long fire-place match or another straight #8 sparkler. The best method is using the #8 sparklers. I suggest buying a pack of them just to light the heart sparklers unless you want to use the other methods. Remember - look for the black dot.
- Obey your local laws and use common sense when handling pyrotechnic novelty items.
- Read and follow instructions and have an adult present at all times.
- Keep burning sparklers away from clothing and flammable objects. Be sure to have a hand-held fire extinguisher readily available.
- Only use sparklers outdoors, away from buildings and vehicles.
- Light the sparklers one at time using a long candle bic lighter or a long fireplace match.
- Be responsible. Do not mix alcohol, fireworks & sparklers.
- Do not throw or point sparklers at another person
- Children under 12 should be supervised by an adult and not handle the sparklers alone.
- When finished, place used sparklers in a bucket of water or sand.
Chinese Paper Lantern Safety Tips
- Sky lanterns are for children 16 years or older
- Do not use if under the influence of alcohol
- Only use in calm, low wind conditions.
- If winds are over 5 mph, do not use the sky lanterns
- Sky lanterns must not be used within 5 miles of an airport
- Do not use near dry crops or other organic materials that may easily catch fire. Check your local conditions for burning.
- Always have a fire extinguisher and/or bucket of water nearby.
- If a lantern catches fire, extinguish, discard. DO NOT REUSE!
- Only use in wide open outdoor spaces.
- Use two people to launch one lantern at a time.
- When used properly, paper lanterns are safe. However, full responsibility is placed on the user of the Chinese lanterns.
- If you are using the lanterns near the coast, we strongly recommend you notify the local coast guard or life boat services that you are releasing the paper lanterns. This will avoid confusion of being mistaken for a flare fired by a ship in distress.
Champagne Party Popper Safety Tips
- Party poppers, when used properly, are safe for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Always point poppers up and away from you and anyone standing near you.
- Pull string to release streamers and confetti.
- Do not try to disassemble or reassemble a dud party popper. Discard.